Monday, May 15, 2006

Christianity and culture

This is something that is always going to be debated: how culture and Christianity should interact. I am sort of reading an article in Christianity Today called "How the Kingdom Comes".

Neither can be isolated from the other.

I'm not sure how I feel about going to see the da Vinci Code. The book itself, though put together well, twists the Gospel message. But yet, if I see the movie, I can "engage the culture." But is this a good idea to do? I've read the book, and would like to see the movie, despite not agreeing with most of what it says.

According to another article on CT, it says this about how the gospels in the canon were actually chosen: Authors of accepted writings needed to have walked and talked with Jesus, or at least with his leading disciples. Their teaching could not contradict what other apostles had written, and their documents must have been accepted by the entire church, from Jerusalem to Rome. Church leaders considered earlier letters and reports more credible than later documents. Finally, they prayed and trusted the Holy Spirit to guide their decisions.

My brain can't think too much right now.

The end.

No comments: