Sunday, May 14, 2006

venting--something I often like to do

I read this article on boundless.org, called "Venting and Losing." It was about why we shouldn't "vent" our emotions.

Venting is something I do somewhat often, and it's usually frustration over something, though I try to do it in my journal or talk to a few friends calmly/objectively. Not that that's how it always works, but...yeah.

The article pointed out a couple verses... Proverbs 10:19 (When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.), and Philippians 2:14-15 (Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe...).

It also pointed out, "my venting caused my self-righteousness to rise and made me even grumpier." I totally agree. If I start griping about something, then it just simmers in me.

"The term "venting" sounds deceptively therapeutic. The truth is, venting involves voicing frustrations that are often damaging to a person or a cause. By giving ourselves permission to "vent," we allow words to pour out unchecked, taking little time to consider whether they're gossip, slander or just good, old-fashioned complaint."

Also, "I can think of times when I have listened to a friend "vent" only to walk away with a diminished view of a person or ministry." Totally agree here...Sometimes when there is late night girl talk, as fun as it can be, sometimes people go down in respect points with me, based on other people's opinions. I should form my opinions of others based on my own interactions, but even then, I have to find the line between "judging" and forming an opinion. Is there a difference? That's another blog, another day.

The author also talked about how our society is marked by complaint about everything. "A person who doesn't criticize something is a novelty. He makes you wonder why he's satisfied. As believers, we have a compelling reason to not complain. We have been shown undeserved grace and given unfathomable riches through Jesus Christ. In light of this, complaining about anything seems — well, silly."

It said the solution to complaining, or rather the replacement, is to be content, based on Philippians 4:12: "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." The author said, "When I become frustrated with my circumstances, I need to ask the Lord to resolve the situation."

We also need to have an attitude that includes love and thinking of the other person (not a victim mentality) and humility.

The closing paragraph: "But my goal is to have the attitude of Christ, rich in contentment, love and humility. That will require keeping the vent closed. After all, Jesus has given so much for me. I really can't complain."

So I think from now on, I need to work on this...rather than complaining about things, I need to keep my mouth shut, take it to God, and think of others and not myself. If I do choose to say something, it should be loving and "helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen" (Eph. 4:29). Wait let me revise that first sentence of this paragraph...{I need GOD to change this in me, this attitude of selfishness, and just rely on Him.} Yeah.

No comments: