Friday, December 21, 2007

cemetery wanderings


This afternoon while I was waiting for my car to be serviced, I walked across the street to the cemetery and walked around. Seems as though that is a weird thing for people to do, but I like reading some of the inscriptions, and looking at the really old ones. I'm not creeped out very easily--like my teammates said one time, I'm like Braveheart.

Some interesting information I found:
~There were twins born in August in the 1800s sometime, and one died that October, and one in December--not even 6 months old!
~A lot of the epitaphs had to do with resting... "Sleeping sweetly", for example.
~I saw the phrase, "At eveningtime there will be light" which, as I've just learned, comes from Zechariah 14:7.


[I like the quote at the bottom of this: "How sweet it will be in that beautiful land. So free from all sorrow and pain: With songs on our lips and harps in our hands. To meet one another again."]

I inadvertently found the headstone for my great-great-grandparents: Thomas R Starr and R Hattie (Mellott) Starr. He was born in 1867, died in 1951. She lived between 1876 and 1938.

On another headstone for "Henrietta Elizabeth; wife of Stewart Matthews. Born Nov. 20, 1844, died May 4, 1904" also had Proverbs 31:28 on it. "Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her."


No comments: