Tuesday, July 15, 2008

update #6

Hi everyone,

Nadine and I are in Kiev right now, and will be leaving soon for Gorodkivka in the wee hours of the morning.

Last week was a wonderful week of VBS/camp in Zaporozhe, with the youth from Kiev and Vinnytsia and the local kids. The theme was Tumbleweed Gulch, so we used the Nazarene curriculum from last summer. Each day from 9am to 3pm, we had songs, games, crafts, origami, lunch, and of course Bible stories with about 30-40 kids. I am glad that we were not the only ones there to work with the kids, because the youth here actually know the language. We helped in various ways, whether it was to help supervise the kids as we walked to the schoolyard for games or to the restaurant for lunch. Each morning, all the staff did a sort of dance to one of the songs, and so we were a part of that. We sang the song "God's Love Changes Everything" in Russian, and I think I know most of it....It helped that I knew the tune, but some parts of the song I would just mumble along something that sounded like the Russian. We also learned a few more kids' songs, but I don't have the words written down to be able to practice saying them. We also were asked to do games on Wednesday, so between the 5 of us, we brainstormed games that could be done. We then explained them to Vica, our translator, who then explained them to the Ukrainians.

The kids really liked to practice their English, which was great, sad, and odd to me. Some of the kids would ask me, "What is your name?" or respond to my basic questions in English. A few, like Dasha and Diana, could ask more questions (with help from some of the older girls), like if I had pets. Some of the boys, like Nikita, would ask what my name was, and respond for me, saying it was "Flower"; he was simply practicing the words he had memorized, I think. However, some of the younger boys knew a few swear words in English--I tried to tell them not to say that, but I have limited language skills.

What was really neat throughout the week was that we were able to walk with the kids, and talk to them (or at least try to). A lot of the time, I didn't know what the kids were saying, so I just smiled at them, and tried to understand what they were saying. At lunch one day, a couple of the boys were mimicking me praying (since I hoped that by looking like I was praying, since we were, they would catch on), so I told them--"I talk (to) God; I love God." I hope that God will use the seeds that were planted this week to show them His love and to know that God wants to have a relationship with them.

Two girls, Anya and Marina, were prayed for one morning. As we found out later, those two wanted to pray and become Christians. Praise God! :) Keep them in your prayers, as they begin this new life in Christ, and that they will stay connected to the local church.

On Tuesday we celebrated Nadine's 20th birthday with pizza and ice cream. Tiffany and I went on a quest for a pizza place with Andriy, finally finding one, and then bought the fixings for ice cream sundaes. We had the Ukrainian leaders in on the surprise as well--Vica even talked about the plan in front of Nadine, without her knowing what was being said (of course, it was in Russian!).

Last week we went sightseeing to the Oak Grove park with Max, one of the local guys that knows English. He came to one or two of the days of camp, and I was able to try and answer some of his questions about Jesus, like why doesn't Jesus come back now, and show himself to more people... I let him know I didn't have all the answers, and so I hope that he will find out that crawling into the lap of Jesus won't take away the questions, but it will provide peace and security.

On the evening of the last day of camp, the parents and other family members were invited to come to the church to see the kids sing their songs and recite their verses. There were about 15-20 mothers and other family members there, and as the kids watched the slideshow and shared what they had learned, there was so much energy and excitement in the room. It was great to see some of the kids at church on Sunday morning, and I hope that they continue to come as the weeks continue.

Tomorrow we are traveling to Gorodkivka, which is just outside of Vapnyarka. There we will be working with Pastor Oleg, and I think we will be doing a sort of VBS with local kids. Please keep us in your prayers as we travel and work with kids. Also be in prayer for the kids of the community and for their families. This is our last assignment before we leave for the States, as well.

No comments: