Saturday, September 27, 2008

Dreaming of Ukraine....two months later

This morning when my alarm went off, I had just been dreaming that I was in Ukraine. I was so sad that it was just a dream, and that I wasn't there.

Yesterday I had been putting my photos from this summer into an album, and I also saw some photos online of odd buildings/places in Ukraine and Russia. So Ukraine was on the brain.

Here's the story from my dream last night.

For whatever reason, my cousin Jen and I were in downtown Kiev and had 10 minutes until we had to be somewhere else. At the very beginning of my dream, I threw my arms in the air, so excited that I was in Ukraine.

I wanted to take her to the Caves Monastery, to which I insisted I knew the way. She reminded me of a time when we were traveling and I claimed the area looked "vaguely familiar," until we arrived. [However, I wasn't even traveling with her that time!] We proceeded to walk down the street until we got to the next intersection.

I wanted to ask how long of a walk it was till we got to the Caves Monastery, so I proceeded to ask a person passing by. First, I asked, "English?" and she said no, and explained a little bit. I'm not sure how I understood that, if I don't really understand Russian! I knew that I needed to use the word for how much (сколько), but beyond that, I think I was going to make it up as I went along. She told us it was about a 15-20 minute walk, and it was either her or one of our religion professors (not even sure how she got in my dream!!!) that said, "It's a nice walk, so it doesn't seem like that far."

Then we went a little ways farther, and came across a group of Americans, I suppose, including the aforementioned religion professor and my friend Bryan (again, not sure how he was in my dream). At this point, it was time for my cousin and I to turn around and leave, so they all shouted "BYE!" in unison. [Later I thought about how that would not be appropriate in Ukraine and would immediately mark you as a tourist/outsider.] We turned around to leave, and then...

My alarm went off. I wanted to cry! I miss Ukraine!

No comments: