Sunday, May 24, 2009

Lovely Paintings....

Tonight I was surfing around on the net and decided that I would post some of my favorite paintings... :)

Dance at Bougival, by Renoir

Anybody know this one? It was hanging at the house where I babysat.


Rainy Day in Venice, by John Rabbetts (Even though there aren't many different colors in this, my eyes are just drawn to the umbrella!)

Guernica, by Picasso. (This is not a lovely painting, I know.)
We learned in Spanish class that this depicts the bombing of a city in Spain, and the painting (helped by Picasso's cubist(?) style) gives you that sense of chaos, disorientation, and disorder that the people experienced.

Las Meninas, by Diego Velazquez. The artist is painting a portrait of the king and queen, who you can see in the mirror in the background. Pretty cool, huh?


The Return of the Prodigal Son, by Rembrandt

Cafe Terrace, by Van Gogh

Hmm, looks like there's a trend in that I seem to like cheerful-looking paintings with bright colors, and mostly those within the Impressionist style. (I need to take another art course--NOT Arts and Music, but a course that will help me match painting styles with the right names!)

No comments: