Tuesday, May 09, 2006

what college is like

(this is basically a post to answer the question, "How's college?")

The past couple days I've been packing up, preparing to leave. Which is almost anticlimactic I suppose because I'm not leaving till Friday. Our room is looking bare, and it's sad. Rachel's leaving tomorrow, and I'll definitely miss her. I pretty much won't have a roommate till next fall.

I like things the way they are. I probably would've been all about political conservativism after the Congress of Vienna (sorry, that's what happens when you study too much...I started talking about generativity when Rachel had Everwood on last night). Or not. I've figured out how things work, whether it's floor/room dynamics, the SGA, classwork, etc.


(Second Willy 05-06)

I'm not sure what I want to be "when I grow up." I'm doing a lot of thinking, about what I really want to do, and where God wants me, and stuff like that.

I made it through a lot this first year at ENC. Dealing with events at home from a distance (Pastor's leaving, Sarah getting married) sort of gave me a different perspective. I found a church I really like (South Weymouth) and will probably stick with it while I'm here. I got involved in a couple of ministries: JUMP and Bible Quizzing. JUMP, that was fun, but I don't know that I'll do it next year (sorry Preston).

Quizzing--that was awesome. I went to kickoff in Maine (marking off yet another US state I've visited) with Liz, and that led me to become involved at Wolly. I scorekept at the quizzes, and was able to get to know teens from all over the district. I got to go to Regionals and get to know the New England quizzers better.

I came knowing a fair number of people, from either Nazarene stuff or other ENC weekends. And now, I think I have found my niche with people, though sometimes I choose to shove my face in books or just plain keep to myself. Some of my friendships here have changed, due to new friends coming in the picture or just not spending quality time with them. As far as boys go, I haven't had a boyfriend yet. To quote myself the other day, "Grrr boys." It makes things somewhat easier, but still. Though I do have a couple of good guy friends (as in they are good friends that happen to be guys that I don't necessary "like"), which is nice. I'll leave it at that.

Classes: I'm learning new stuff (which is a good thing), and I think I'm doing fairly well. Some of my classes (Physical Science and First Year Seminar, *cough*cough*) didn't impress me. Other classes, like Western Heritage and Contemporary Questions, made me do a lot of thinking, and often a lot of studying. I was surprised--well I mean, I had to force myself--that I did get homework done while I was at Regionals, and even took a calc 2 quiz.

As far as old friendships go, I'm not sure what's going to happen with them. People came up for FOL in March, and I switched between wanting to spend as much time with them as possible and wanting to just let them do their own thing. It was strange having Chelsea and Cassi here once, because it was like a combination of two worlds. It was great having the Central PA people here in October, because with A Capella gone that weekend, I could hang out with Pastor Mark, Norm, Pat, Sam, Ben, Cassie, and Olivia. Cassie still makes me laugh. So as far as Impact friends go, I think I can still have the friendships be in the same form. I sometimes feel like I've taken on a quasi-leader role with them and other teens in my church. Since I've been at college, I've changed; everyone else has changed.

I got a job babysitting once every week or so, and that was nice. I learned how to navigate the T bus system, and not get lost. I still like carrying my Boston map with me when I go into the city. Boston doesn't seem like that big of a city to me. Maybe it's because of its actual size, or maybe because I'm so used to it, but it really doesn't seem like it's that bad of a city. Yes, some parts are sketchy--majorly sketchy--but it's a pretty cool city to live near.

I've done a lot of crazy things this year: pulled an allnighter at Wolly beach, went into the city to watch part of the Marathon, said some random stuff.

I got to go to Belize and Guatemala too. That was amazing. My favorite parts were the three or so days on the island, and the three days in Guatemala. I love Spanish!!!! I was really nervous before I went, because I pretty much only knew Sarah R (and she's graduating now), but by the end, I got to know everyone else and especially Ann E. pretty well.

I also went to a couple of great concerts, without having to drive an hour away and clear it with my mom. Magon and I saw Mat Kearney live in Boston, and got our pictures with him (people asked, "who's that guy in the picture with you?"). Then Bethany Dillon, Shane and Shane, and Aaron Shust performed at Wolly Church, and we had fairly good seats.

This week is slowly a week of goodbyes. I said goodbye to the Wolly quizzers on Sunday. Melissa and Johanna are going to Olivet next year, so I probably won't see them that much.

Rachel leaves tomorrow, and today we packed up a lot in our room. It's like the beginning of the year again or something. Our hallway and lounge looks like a Goodwill donation center of sorts, with everyone's boxes and stuff. I'm kinda glad A Cappella will still be around when I leave, because that means I'm not one of the last to really leave.


(our sad room)


(our sad room #2)

This summer I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I really need a summer job, and hopefully I can work at Camp Wright. I also applied to Old Navy in Severna Park, so maybe if I get that job and not the camp, then I can stay at Daddy's and borrow his old van and take a couple college classes. But I need to find out soon.

I plan to go to Family Camp and see my teens and preteens and other families. Yayness. I think the only other ENCers I'll see this summer are Ben ("from MD"), Jocelyn, Troxler, Junior, Paul Sapp, the other two on the Summer Min team, Kerri, and that's probably it.

Next year is going to be kind of crazy, with a new chapel schedule (and therefore a new time schedule thing), new SGA, new students (yay for Meghan W.!!!), and a lack of the old seniors.

Dang, I wrote a freaking essay. Oh well. Now I'll leave you with this picture that I took walking home the other day. I love how everything is flowering and green around here. Though, today was rainy, cold, and gross. I really hope it clears up before I go, and especially for graduation.

No comments: