Sunday, January 28, 2007

Science & Religion class

The following is taken from an email that I sent my cousin, talking about my classes. This is what I wrote about Science & Religion. I'm essentially still trying to figure things out (if they CAN be figured out at all).

"It seeks to explore the science and religion debate over the years. I'm still working on figuring out what I believe about creation vs. evolution. Maybe it's NOT an either/or answer. Maybe it's both. Maybe God created the universe and got things going, and enabled creation to do what He did: create.

"Then again, maybe we will never know and it's one of those mysteries that requires us to simply say, "Wow, God made this, and there is a purpose in it that He has." Like some stories could simply be myths, and not in the sense they are fantasies, but they explain why things are the way they are. Genesis 1 could be a poem, that may not be intended to be read literally.

"(Before you decide to not go to ENC, and to call me a heretic, relax. It's not all ENC that has made me think about stuff.) Things are much broader than they seemed to me years ago (years ago meaning high school....gosh I feel old). One thing I am fairly sure of is that the Bible is not a science textbook. It gives us the essentials for following God, and basically we can figure other stuff out on our own."

No comments: