Sunday, June 07, 2009

scatterbrained post.

First off, let me say that I have been reading in John every day and staying on track. (Knowing that there are people out there that I've "told", holds me accountable.) Unfortunately, I'm reading it right before I go to sleep, just as I crawl in bed, so tomorrow I need to read sometime in the afternoon. Otherwise, I'm not soaking God's word in like I should.

Below is a really cute/sweet video, as one of my ENC friends posted on her Facebook. She also wrote a poem inspired by the video. It's my hope that through the rest of this summer and especially during my time in Ukraine that I don't retreat into just corresponding with friends via the Internet and/or Facebook surfing, but keep a healthy balance between friends that are in real life (phone or in person, which will be tough with my traveling) and those that I can now only communicate with via Facebook/email.



On Thursday night, my brother Adam graduated from high school! Yeah! I was sad that the teachers took away bubbles and beach balls that the graduates had with them-- they took away their fun! (We had them at our ENC graduation, and no one took them away. Then again, high school is different from college.) I saw at least 4-5 people that graduated with me from the very same high school 4 years ago, and it was weird to think that those students were US 4 years ago! Most of us have graduated from college, or will soon, and then next year we'll have our 5 year reunion. Crazy.

Last week I subbed at my high school for 4 of the 5 days, and I've gotten more comfortable with the high schoolers -- granted, it helps that it's my alma mater, and my brother would know of some of the students I had. The vice principal, my former history teacher, saw me walking down the hall and say, "Hey, Hagels! How's it going?" I realized that that was strange not just because he had never called me anything like that before, and it was in the school setting, but because that was the first time since graduation that someone has called me by a name other than Jessica, Jess, or Ms. H. Gone are the days when I would hear at least one variation of my name in a day -- Haagen-sausage, Hagels, Caboose (ok, not a variation, but a nickname), Haagen-Daag!, etc.

Today I spoke at my home church, then at Angel's. We played "dress-up", wearing our academic regalia at the same time and posing for photos outside. :) There's a mighty good one of me pretending that my diploma was going to eat hers. On the way back, I got to talk to Jen on the phone, my twin. :) Yay for 2 best friends in one day!

No comments: