Thursday, February 22, 2007

mi vida.

This past weekend in Maine was pretty much amazing, in terms of fun and in terms of ministry stuff. Basically, not only did I get to hang out and have cool conversations with people, but I also got to help with junior high Sunday School, and lead Children's Church (I was totally applying some of what I learned in Ed Psych, it was crazy). I've learned that Prof is a fan of the "trial by fire" or "sink or swim" method of teaching you skills. Before Friday night, I didn't know that I'd be working with the Children's Church group. Before Saturday morning, I didn't know that I'd be primarily responsible for figuring stuff out. It more or less happens that upon arrival to a weekend, I find out close to exactly what I'm doing. But hey, it really helps you grow.

Here are just a few more words about the weekend.
~ministry: Sunday School, Children's Church, testimony time, mingling
~fun: sledding, games, Mafia, etc.
~injuries: chipped tooth, sprained ankle, injured knee, hitting upside the head
~studying
~doing rounds of quizzing to determine shower and eating order
~conversations
~sledding on old plastic caf trays from Rick

I also collected a ton of quotes. :)

*Jen on the phone: “Z as in xylophone”
*Jen S: “Do we have to go through New Hampshire?”
*Jess: “Oh look, this snow is powdery” (right foot plunges into snow)
*Jocey: “No! I don’t wanna be a druggie, gosh!”
*Jess: “Who needs vegetables at dinner when you can eat popcorn?”
*Jen: “We do not practice personification here”
*Joel: “I’m a perfectly normal and sane person…compared to the play”
*Sondra’s dream that Prof was on drugs
*Hannah: “It’s called a quiz meet, not a hangout meet”
*Prof: “Smack me if you want—it’ll still hurt”

*Joel: “Someday I want to be laughed with, not at”
Jen: “Say something funny and I’ll laugh with you”


*Prof (about Bible study): “And what does that mean?”
Hannah: “Studying the Bible”

*News headline on Yahoo: “Bush has two moles removed from temple” (this could totally be taken two different ways)
*Lucas: “Who would you like to violently evaporate?” (playing Mafia)
*Jen: “Welcome to New Hampshire! ...I mean Massachusetts!”
*Sondra: “What is it about us with men?” (to Deborah during a game of Guess Who?)
*Deborah: “You’re just gonna lay in a cold box for the rest of your...oh. You’re already dead.”
*Jen: “Belch it out, guys” (for singing)
*Sondra to Billy: “Just think, you could be related to Joel.”
*Joel to Becky: “Much as I love you, I just can’t marry you.”

*Joel: “Are you quizzed out?”
Ryan: “Yes”
Joel: “Why do I get the feeling you’re lying?”

*(Hannah knocks chair over)
Joel/Jess, at the same time: “Shhhh!!!” (laughter) … “She just made a joke and she doesn’t know it.”
Hannah: “What joke?”

Today was the Ash Wednesday chapel. I learned that Sundays are feast days, in which you can enjoy what you've given up for Lent, as a way of celebrating and looking forward to the Resurrection. I definitely need this time of Lent, to be able to figure out (or try to at least) what God wants me to do. And you know, without Facebook to continuously check, there's only so much you can do online (so it seems right now). Hopefully I really use that freed-up time to actually read my Bible and pray.

I got to talk to Jen for a good long while tonight...It was really cool. I made fun of her at times, but all in good fun. Erin comes tomorrow to visit for Honors weekend, and I'm pretty excited. :)

I caught a glimpse of Your splendor
In the corner of my eye
The most beautiful thing I've ever seen
And it was like a flash of lightning
Reflected off the sky
And I know I'll never be the same

Show me Your glory
Send down Your presence
I want to see Your face
Show me Your glory
Majesty shines about You
I can't go on without You, Lord

When I climb down the mountain
And get back to my life
I won't settle for ordinary things
I'm gonna follow You forever
And for all of my days
I won't rest 'til I see You again

Show me Your glory
Show me Your glory
I can't live without You

No comments: