Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Day 1 of reading through the gospel of John

Last night I began my plan to read through the Gospel of John during the month of June (I'll finish on the 21st, but that's okay). I've already started reading it, but I decided to take it a little more slowly and focus on a chapter a day, and then I'll just read other books of the Bible as well (using the May section of Read Thru the Bible).

Here are my thoughts from reading last night, in the NIV.

1:4 "In him was life, and that life was the light of men."

Christ is the light in our darkness. The life that He brings makes everything more visible in our lives...clearer, more definitive, etc. He makes us more like Him, more like who He has called us to be.

1:12-13 "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God--children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God."

I am a child of God, adopted into God's family, just like any other person. All other Christians are my brothers and sisters, and none of us are superior to the rest in light of our pasts or presents or futures. I'm part of God's family, a community, that will shape me and support me.

1:14 "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Christ came to LIVE among US. To live, to move into the neighborhood (I think that's the Message wording), not to simply drop by for a visit and then leave again. He lived among US, messed-up people that we are, showing His glory but also His grace and mercy and truth to point us to a relationship with God.

1:31 "I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel." (John the Baptist speaking)

John knew that the Messiah was coming, but he did not know the details, but still prepared the way for the Lord. The ministry was not his own, but served as a signpost for a greater ministry, Christ's. So often we want details of WHY God wants us to do a particular task, or why not, HOW God will use it to bring glory to His name, etc. I know I'd LOVE to know those details, perhaps have them written on a neon sign that would fall into my lap. Unfortunately, that's not gonna happen, at least in that way. Quite simply, we are called to follow Christ, to be in relationship with Him, to point others to Christ.

There's Day 1.

Ideas to keep in mind as I read:
What does this tell me about God's nature?
How does God view humanity?

No comments: